Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Do You Believe in Fairies? (Or a Meditation on Puer Aeternus/Puella Aeterna)


This is a post in honour of the Sun entering Gemini later today, and the puer aeternus/puella aeterna (eternal child) which this lovely sign is an archetype of.

So, here's the thing: do you believe in fairies? I mean fairies as in faerie folk, not the gentlemen who appreciate other gentlemen.

I think I've always believed in them. The former, I mean (nothing against the latter either of course).

Even as a supposedly sober, left-brained, rational, put-away-childish-things adult wannabe, in my heart of hearts, I always thought the world was magic, with magical denizens of every kind.

*** WARNING: overly Saturnian folks, you may wish to skip the rest of this post altogether ***

Which includes us, by the way. I believe humans have their own magic.

Actually, from parsing various occult books, it seems magic is no more nor less than harnessing one's will toward manifestation. But that seems far less fun a way of thinking about it.

I guess the cool bit about magic (and fairies etc.) is not putting together definitions to categorise them (though I suppose Virgo-rising might enjoy that), but rather embracing their mystery.

Oh dear, another happy New Age phrase, embracing mystery.

No matter, let it stand. I believe anyone even vaguely creative and childlike can only delight in how much we don't know. It's about wonder and discovery and the pleasure at not knowing what could be round the next corner. Something wonderful or horrifying, or both. Something wise, something mischievous. Something altogether tragic and noble.

One of the authors who never lost the fairy spirit of the puer aeternus was Ray Bradbury (and C. S. Lewis, of course - and Lewis Carroll). And Michael Ende. And Neil Gaiman. Can't forget J. M. Barrie, either - he'd be the puer aeternus personified.

I'm 34 and I still delight in their writing, and one day, when I have kids, it will be my utter breamish joy to introduce them to the endless worlds of innocence and adventure. And danger, too, of course. Fairies so often end up where they shouldn't be. And sometimes, there's a terrible price to pay.

But what of that? We need dragons and witches, too. Not to mention the odd ogre army. Spices things up a bit. Gets the blood going. Makes the treasure worth having (and you know there's always treasure where there be dragonnes).

As I continue to observe outdoor rehearsals of Midsummer Night's Dream, which a local Anglophone theatre group is putting on later in June, I'm really feeling that innocence and joy inside me, fighting to return, despite the recent sorrows.

Hurrah for the time of Gemini!

I definitely, absolutely, without-a-doubt, 101 percent, believe in fairies. Do you?






The lovely image above was taken from this site.

No comments: