Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Friendly Ones


Hey people. I'm sorry I disappeared again. I could give you a lot of excuses - some of them legitimate, like evening classes three times a week and meetings for a play that eventually we couldn't get actors for (details in another post) - but mostly, it's due to a lapse in self-discipline.

So, there you go. For an unemployed bum, I can make the time, I just haven't wanted to. Why? Well, you could say I opted to spend the time entertaining the demons - I call them 'my friendlies' (distant cousins of 'the kindlies', which are too much the CEO types to commit to one individual alone), who really don't want to give up a partnership that has weathered so many dangerously happy times. Not to mention, they're very patient and single-minded. And they like to keep me in line.

Even if - O fickle Ninth! - I dally with those flirtatious positive thoughts and apply my will toward choosing a less guilt-ridden, passive outlook - they take me back, every time. They're really the most faithful of self-created entities I know.

Sure, immediately after I've been successfully rescued from those hussies of selfworth and joy and hope, they have to punish me a bit. You know, show me who's boss. But that's fair enough if you think about it, right? I mean, they're investing all this time and effort in this relationship, choosing me over so many others far more compliant than I and still I refuse to completely learn my lesson, toe the line and simply resign myself - and appreciate - what I already enjoy with them, my friendlies. They do so much for me. And to me. How could I even entertain thoughts of ever leaving?

Well, obviously I do. Because I pay good money to a shrink twice a week to help me burn my bridges with the friendlies. To take back my energy and power and self-love and strength and awareness.

As often as I get dragged back into this unhappy union with the friendlies, just as often will I try to break free.

And I'll tell you something the friendlies have tried to keep a secret, but that I am recently re-discovering: I deserve to be free. Ain't nothing worse about me, in essence, than any other living being. Sure, nothing and noone owe me happiness. And sure, I'm carrying my own karmic burden. And I screw up from time to time. But a lot of the time, I'm quite an okay human being.

Still, if you bump into the friendlies, you didn't hear any of that from me, ok?




The illustration is "The Furies" by Suza Scalora and may be found here.

1 comment:

DANIELBLOOM said...

In the midst of doing some reading online the other day, a certain
phrase popped out at me from a press release from an Australian green
group that spoke about a "safe-climate future" in an article by Ryan
King headlined "Scientists target safe-climate future".

The term SAFE CLIMATE jumped out at me, as I saw its similarities to
SAFE SEX as a PR catchword, so I began to try to formulate a way to use
this in a good way for climate activists. I came up with the concept
of "safe-climate lifestyle" as a term to mean living a lifestyle that
recognizes that global warming is real and trying to leave as small a
carbon footprint as possible and working in whatever ways one feels
are important to help mitigate the problems we are now facing.

So a question to those reading this blogpost: for feedback. Does this have a good ring
to it, sound good, should we try to make this term popular among green
activists and the media?

As in: "Local citizens gather to discuss
safe-climate lifestyles" (as a headline in a local newspaper in
Anytown, USA).

I like it. What do you think? COMMENTS BELOW APPRECIATED OR EMAIL ME at danbloom {one word, no space) in the GMAIL place. You know how that works. Go!

-- Danny Bloom

ONLINE CURATOR: "THE JAMES E LOVELOCK VIRTUAL MUSEUM POLAR CITIES"

http://pcillu101.blogspot.com