Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Self Defence Beginneth in the Brain, Heart


Happy New Year all. Apologies for the lack of posts, but everyone and their pet iguana has been online in Cyprus over the past few days. Which means the internet connection has been too nightmarishly slow to try to blog.

So. 'Tis the first month of 2008. Which means, I need to set targets and get my sluggish self motivated.

No, I'm not going to do the resolutions thing - besides, it's not even a new Moon, and Mars is retrograde for a mite longer. I am, however, going to fire off some stuff that's been on my chest.

Firstly, I cannot wait till the end of Pluto in Sadge. Not that Pluto in Cap won't be tumultuous and trying in its own way, but I am so sick and tired of the self-righteous, 'us-versus-them' bloodshed and aggression. Granted there always was that, but the Lord of Death's passage through the Truth (or heat)-seeking Archer has certainly signalled volatility of the first order.

I've been thinking a lot about 'us' versus 'them' these days, for a lot of reasons.
The issue has been in my mind because of the way the Republican candidates in the US presidential race have been trying to John Wayne their opponents by how much tougher than anyone else they're going to be on illegal immigrants.
Because of the way our own society in Cyprus has really been struggling with the realisation that its wealth and affluence will incline those from far-less-fortunate countries to want to live and work in our country - and yes, that commonly means folks of 'black', 'brown' and 'yellow' races.

And just generally because of the way powerful governments worldwide continue to divide people and amp up all the areas where we don't see eye to eye.

Recently, I also stumbled across the following website: http://www.360defence.co.uk/ whose personnel is trained in Israeli self defence techniques (Krav Maga and the like) and who offer urban protection skills, to allow people to survive hi-jackings, hostage situations, muggings and the like.

Now, I have nothing against defending oneself in times of danger. I, personally, am a fan of martial arts, have been a Karate, Kendo, Tai Chi and Fencing student and plan on taking up Aikido later on down the line.

However, all of these disciplines (with the exception of competitive fencing that doesn't really have a philosophy per se) teach respect of both oneself and one's opponent, and cultivate humility and discipline in one's training. They do not encourage their adherents to focus on a hostile, aggressive and dangerous world.

One could argue: but the world is hostile, aggressive and dangerous. To that, I would say, how much of that is real, and how much of that is media and political hype? Yes, there is real sectarian and military bloodshed in Somalia, Kenya, the Congo, the Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Afghanistan, Iraq, Gaza, Thailand, Pakistan etcetera etcetera.

But our response to such violence and atrocities is key. One can acquire the skills with which to make the best - hopefully defensive - decisions for oneself in the worst case scenario, but that doesn't mean we have to think of the world as a dangerous and hostile place.

Why? Because, I believe, as it is taught in the esoteric wisdom traditions, that what you believe, you create. Thoughts are as powerful as actions. Words, symbols also.

It all comes down to energy. If we are all investing energy in believing we live in an 'us-against-them' world, then that is the world we will continue to live in.

I don't know about you, but I, for one, am sick of it.

There is no 'us', there is no 'them'. We are all one.

Yeah, if some psycho ever attacked my family, I would defend them and I would defend myself. Would I ever kill someone if my life was in danger? Probably. I hate the thought of it, but I have recognised an instinct for survival in myself that has nothing to do with my civilised, pious self. There is definitely the primal force inside me for self-preservation.

That is why I fear the collapse of civilisation so much. I know how little it would take for that instinct to take over the majority of us. To become vigilantes or organise ourselves into gangs and steal, murder and rape for resources, power and, worst of all, pleasure.

DIGRESSION: I am not an Augustinian btw - I do not believe humankind is inherently evil. But what little I know of evolution's processes does make me fear the reptilian brain with which we are all still endowed and that can kick in at times of threat.

But to get back to my original point: if we look upon everyone as equals, with needs and fears and hopes identical to ours, if we can view everything that lives as precious, we would create a far, far less violent and aggression-fuelled world.

That is why I found the offer of urban 'survival' training particularly disturbing. Because it's sort of a business based on the perpetuation of a hostile world view.

Do I feel better about free, police-offered training? Yes, because I still think we need the police (which, of course, means I acknowledge the existence of a level of crime). And it somehow feels less 'hysterical' than training for scenarios such as hijackings and terrorist attacks.

Actually, there's the rub - there's something 'hysterical', it seems to me, about offering services to train people against 'terrorist' attacks and hijackings.

How many terrorist attacks and hijackings is the average person ever likely to experience? Which isn't to say there shouldn't be training for it, but I think, again, it should be done through the police, in a less fearmongering way.

Do I object to shops and stores and banks and offices having security guards? No. But again, having guards on such premises is, it would seem to me, adequate to tackle the sort of crime one finds in the real world.

At any rate, for those convinced that I am merely a confused, naive, self-contradicting idiot, there will always be arguments for better 'protecting' ourselves against the bogey man.

I still maintain, though, that our 'enemies' and 'aggressors' are, to a great extent, the product of self-interested power games at the geopolitical and economic level.

Bottom line: yes, I would like to know how to defend myself. But no, I do not believe that that is where my responsibility to myself - and to others - ends. If I want to live in a better, more harmonious world, first of all, I have to be open to believing it already exists.

It is my hope that as we realise how perilously near we are to destroying life on this planet, either through insidiously engineered wars, environmental destruction or economic pillaging, we will want to protect what is precious and the birth-right of all - our world.

I propose that where such 'protection' would have to begin is in our minds and hearts. By envisioning and believing in a world - which includes humankind - worth honoring, cherishing, and preserving.

No comments: