Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Drumming away depression on the djembe



The moment I heard the thunder of that relentless, ecstatic rhythm it was obvious to me: drumming is like some God-given alchemy to release and transform the heaviest of energies.

To explain: this evening I went to a free djembe drumming concert held in the courtyard of Nicosia's Goethe Institut.

On a balmy Mediterranean night, with burning torches and gratis red vino, there were definitely worse places to be, let me tell you - but it was a total fluke. The only reason I was there was because an acquaintance had sent me a text message about it.

Actually, I can honestly say that I'm incredibly grateful for having gone; I felt happy for the first time in ages. The last week in particular has been steeped in sorrow and mourning for me for what was recently lost. Indeed, depression has been hovering rather too close for my comfort.

But gosh, hearing those drums - being stirred by that wall of joyous, pulsing sound - it was like being uplifted and relieved of burdens.

Small wonder such rhythms can be therapeutic. Even less of a surprise that such drumming is often the shaman's means to travel into an ecstatic state.

So, more drumming please, less depression. And if you're interested in learning more about djembe drumming's benefits, you can satisfy your curiosity here.






The image above was taken from this site.

No comments: